Sunday, July 6, 2008

From Baguio to Naguilian

I took the bus from Baguio to Naguilan, with my friend & photographer Ruel Bimuyag telling the bus driver to get me to Gusing to look for my relatives-Calica, Caluza, Cacdac. They didn't recognize any names till they asked: Hulog? & my response of yes let them know it was ok...once in Naguilan the drivers told the bicycle driver to bring me to Gusing...where we commenced to go from house to house looking for maybe 1 1/2 hours. back & forth in North & South Gusing... (ok-never write things on loose paper... I kept loosing my info...) Finally, someone remembered a married lady in Tuddingan who used to be Calica...When I got there we showed the photo to Manang Lilia, who explained, "This is my Auntie Mary!" THANK GOD!!! She told me that Grandpa Pedro, the brother of Grandma Mary was still alive, but Grandma Sinang had died in December. & we went to Bagulin to see him...the driver laughing all the way that we had finally found my relatives! I had to tell her about both Uncle Ben & Uncle Gary & I was sobbing in the bicycle cab & even sobbing more when I finally saw Grandpa Pedro, sitting on his chair in front of his home in Bagulin. The driver, Lola Lilia Calica Cabacungan & all the relatives laughing about the story of the American who spoke no Illocano looking for her relatives in Gusing & going back & forth, here & there, with everyone following along & going from house to find out where the relatives were! (ok-so of course i had all the relatives laughing about this for two days!)

Next day to the farm that grandma & grandpa bought-another adventure across a hanging bridge & a small trail where i fell twice on the slippery ground before arriving 2 km. to see the farm. Returned to Baguio that eve with Manang Pia & her family. I will post photos later...off to merienda (ok-now i'm really FAT!!!)

No comments: