Sunday, July 6, 2008

On meeting artists in Baguio

The adventure continues...hung out in Baguio, mostly with manong Kidlat Tahimik. His home is so cool and I was so blessed to be allowed to spend so much time with him and learn about all of his films and his filmaking process...besides touring around Baguio, I also mostly hung out with my friends Violeta, Jason & Ruel @ VOCAS- Victor Ortesia Community Art Space...viewing films from Japan on the Ainu Wedding & Bear Rituals & a brief excerpt of a film from Okinawa. Met lots of artists @ VOCAS, but also met a few @ Tamanwan Village & the gallery of Ben Hur Villanueva, the Arko ni Apo Gallery.I was blown away by his scultures & was blessed with the opportunity to interview him... One giant sculpture would've been beautiful in my house...oh, well too much $$$ to spend! Read about him here:

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2004/11/15/life/an.artist.for.others.html

Silly me, while trying to back up photos & half eating my meal, i also met the famous photographer, Tommy Hafalla, who was checking out my images on the computer while we talked...I was so stupid--didn't realize who he was & I asked him does he love black & white photography...DUH!!!! MEANWHILE, Ruel's wife Irene is giggling & laughing & trying to whisper to me that he's famous for his work!!! Nice guy, he mostly documents rituals in Sagada, but also cares for his elderly father here in Baguio. Read about these artists here:

http://www.homegrownart.net/history.htm

Tonight we leave for Kalinga Province & Mountain Province...This is quite a wonderful artistic & spiritual adventure for me!

No comments: