Saturday, August 9, 2008

Two Poems for Kalpna











Poem 1: For Kalpna



You are like a butterfly
coming to me through the
clouds, the sun
I see your face
your smile, bright eyes
full of amazement
I think of how you love
Ganesh
and how easily an EastAsian
like you
can make friends
with my own people


our days together
short, like a butterfly
flit into our lives--flying through Davao
with your sparkling spirit
refreshing, like the coolest water
flowing from Mt. Apo
from the mountain spring


even my heart hurts
to think of your pain
but I will always treasure my
moments with you
How you welcomed me
into the 2008 circle
and the beauty of
you, one butterfly on your leg
your smile
your warmth
the essence of you
always coming to me
from the
sky




Poem 2:

Five of us in search
Of a conversation
Spending time with Kublai
A Fulbright adventure to meet an artist
Share stories and even wine & cheese
A gift from the artist

Kalpna, Luanda, Aimee, Anthem and Holly
Americans & Kublai truly valued our conversations
Told Kalpna of his Indian friend, supporter
Of the arts
And also told her he wanted to travel to
Her homeland, India

What do you value?
He asked
Each one responding
After our conversations of BUDA
Parks, homes in the mountains
The search for the best waterfalls
Being saved from a bad TRIP in Palawan
Why wandering Mindanao was preferable
to showing work in the U.S.
and even UFOs


We laughed, shared, took pictures of Kublai’s
Latest series—which of course,
Won’t be completed until the 150th painting is done
And in this series of paintings
And in this series of conversations
I look back and also value the special time
We shared at the top of Ponce Suites
A moment with a great artist
And a moment with great friends
A moment to treasure forever

I value conversations
Says Kublai
Now thinking back
So do I now see the value of our conversations
This conversation at Ponce Suites etched in my memory
Another beautiful night shared with Kulpna & friends

1 comment:

Allen's Darling said...

Very nice poems congrats....see you around.