Saturday, August 9, 2008

Returning from Lake Sebu & Cotabato

It wasn't so much the failure of the Peace Agreements that burdened my travel in Mindanao, but the lack of health of my fellow American colleagues here in Davao, Mindanao. While waiting for my Cultural Guide's schedule to free up, I hung out with the 2008 Fulbright-Hays Scholars, dragging them to meet my artist friends & being dragged to lectures at Ateneo de Davao University...ok, I wasn't dragged... Luanda is a scholar, so of course, I had to hang out with her & share the experience.

During this time I befriended Kalpna, with roots in India, who joined Luanda in getting a cool tatoo from a Katribu artist, along with many other cool teachers that I won't name right now because they are all flying back to the states as I type.

One of the Fulbrighters, Cora, suffered a blood clot and was hospitalized & then later Miriam, the Co-Director of the program also was hospitalized from dehydration (&maybe exhaustion from caring for Cora @ the hospital-my diagnosis)... Two other teachers got the flu and rested at the Royal Mandaya Hotel & the remainder watched the ill women in shifts, with two per shift...this lasted for days. I assisted in small ways, mostly supporting the healthy ones...

It was in this way that I boarded a bus with my cultural host & kulintang player to check out the T'boli arts & that of the Maguindanaon people too. While on the bus I got word that one of the Fulbrighters- Kalpna - died in the morning. This call was from Luanda, who along with Aimee, spent the last moments with her. I was heart stricken, but on my way to Lake Sebu and Cotabato.

While on the road and visiting these places I was able to complete my studies, but I cut short my visit in order to return to Davao. The grief was overwhelming, with me bursting into tears at any little trigger. The death of Kalpna still lingers with me each day. Her memorial is on Saturday in the states. Most of the Fulbrighters will be in attendance at her memorial. There are two left here- one great guy getting his rest now in Palawan & the other across the street at Davao Doctors Hospital, thankfully, with her son at her side.

I am honored and blessed to know Kalpna Mistry. She was a bright star that burst past me and with a blaze changed my life. I am thankful for the members of the Katribu Collective, especially Tan Tan, Sheila,and Benjie, who came to my call to take care of Luanda and the others in their extreme grief over Kalpna's death. They brought my friends to the ocean each day to wash away the tears of sorrow and to perform ritual prayers of forgiveness and prayers for Kalpna. Benjie healed many with his acupuncture and brought stableness to this small group of educators. I am thankful to Kalpna, who during a prayer ritual for Cora's recovery, included me- a 2006 Fulbright Scholar- into the 2008 circle. I am blessed. Each moment sacred. I give thanks for this short time I have spent with her.

This trip was to learn about the art & culture of the P.I. I have learned much more about spirit. Thank you Kalpna.

No comments: